*[Join the Community Discord here](https://discord.gg/8MtcMrQNbX) to talk all things Tracetest, get instant support from our team, or simply say hi! If you like what we're doing, and haven't already, [leave us a ⭐ on GitHub](https://github.com/kubeshop/tracetest). Thank you for being part of the community. Your support and feedback are invaluable! ❤️*
Hello, Tracetest Community! 👋
We're thrilled to bring you the latest updates and happenings from the world of Tracetest. From product releases to integrations and community contributions, we have an exciting array of news to share with you. Let's dive right in! 🤿
## Hot tip of the day!
### Assert that a trace span exists
Here is an example how to validate that a trace span exists at all. This use case is valuable when you want to assert an external service responded at all, or when asserting async processes that happen after a message queue. Select the span you want to assert on, and use the `attr:tracetest.selected_spans.count` attribute. Setting it to `1` will assert that it exists.
- selector: span[tracetest.span.type="..."]
name: Validate that this span always exists
- attr:tracetest.selected_spans.count = 1
## What's New with Tracetest 🎉
- **Tracetest v0.13.5 Released:** Our latest release is here! [Tracetest v0.13.5](https://github.com/kubeshop/tracetest/releases/tag/v0.13.5) comes packed with improvements, enhancements, and new features designed to refine your testing workflows.
- **Introducing Kafka Test Trigger:** To broaden your testing possibilities, we've introduced a new Kafka test trigger. Now you can seamlessly integrate Kafka messaging into your test scenarios, expanding your testing horizons.
**Check out Daniel’s hands-on demo of triggering tests with Kafka!**
- **Resource Improvements:** Our team has been hard at work enhancing the Tracetest experience. We've introduced improvements that include transforming Environments into [VariableSets](https://docs.tracetest.io/concepts/variable-sets) and Transactions into [Test Suites](https://docs.tracetest.io/concepts/test-suites). These changes streamline naming conventions to improve efficiency.
- **Support for SpanStatus:** We've added support for `SpanStatus`, enhancing your ability to monitor and manage traces effectively.
- **Introducing `var` Placeholder:** Simplify your test scenarios by using the new [`var` placeholder](https://docs.tracetest.io/concepts/expressions/#reference-variables), which allows you to seamlessly incorporate variables within your tests.
**Check out Oscar’s hands-on demo of the latest and greatest Tracetest features!**
## Integrations 🤝
- **SigNoz Integration Recipes and Examples:** We're were thrilled to announce our integration with SigNoz last month! This month we expanded the [recipes](https://docs.tracetest.io/examples-tutorials/recipes/running-tracetest-with-signoz-pokeshop) and examples!
- **SigNoz Community Call:** Get ready for insights from our recent appearance at the [SigNoz Community Call](https://youtu.be/a4OpEPoQTaE?feature=shared&t=900).
- **Dynatrace Integration:** Our integration with Dynatrace has officially arrived! Dive into our [integration page](https://tracetest.io/integrations/dynatrace), [recipes](https://docs.tracetest.io/examples-tutorials/recipes/running-tracetest-with-dynatrace), and [examples](https://github.com/kubeshop/tracetest/tree/main/examples/tracetest-dynatrace) to see how you can seamlessly merge the power of Dynatrace with Tracetest.
- **Honeycomb Integration:** Check out [this new blog post for a hands-on guide](https://www.honeycomb.io/honeycomb-tracetest-observability-driven-development) of using Honeycomb + Tracetest for observability-driven development. Learn more about the Honeycomb integration that was added to Tracetest in May 2023.
## From the Community
- **Contributions to OpenTelemetry Docs:** We're proud to have contributed to the OpenTelemetry Docs by including guides for incorporating trace-based tests into the OpenTelemetry Demo. Check out the [updated documentation](https://opentelemetry.io/docs/demo/tests/) and [readme](https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-demo/tree/main/test) to explore these valuable resources.
- **Tracetest Newsletter Launch:** We're excited to announce the launch of the Tracetest Newsletter! Stay updated on the latest developments, insights, and news in the tracing and testing landscape. Read our inaugural issue [here](https://tracetest.io/blog/tracetest-monthly-newsletter-july-2023).
- **Conference Talks:** Our team has been active on the conference circuit. While the videos of our past talks are in the works, here's a sneak peek at what's in store:
- Sebastian's technical talk at KCD Guatemala
- Ken's insights shared at DeveloperWeek CloudX
- Adnan's hands-on session at DeveloperWeek CloudX
- **Looking ahead, catch Ken's talk at [OpenSearchCon 23](https://opensearchcon2023.splashthat.com/) and Adnan's presentation at [KCD Austria](https://ti.to/dynatrace/kcd-austria-2023) by the end of September!**
## Exploring the Cloud 🌥️
Ever wondered about the possibilities of a cloud version of Tracetest? Our team delves into the ideas, goals, aspirations, and vision behind creating of a SaaS / Cloud version Tracetest. Stay tuned for future updates as we embark on this exciting journey.
**Check out Ken’s thoughts on why we’re building the cloud.**
## Like what we do?
**Do you have a specific use case you would like us to cover? Do you want to contribute to Tracetest?**
At Tracetest, we welcome all contributions!
Not sure where to start? You can:
- Visit our [Community Page](https://tracetest.io/community).
- Check out our contributing guidelines [here](https://github.com/kubeshop/tracetest/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md).
- [Book a meeting](https://calendly.com/ken-kubeshop/45min?month=2023-08) with us or chat with our team on [Discord](https://discord.gg/8MtcMrQNbX).
Thank you for being a part of the Tracetest community! We're dedicated to providing you with the tools, knowledge, and resources to excel in the world of tracing and testing. Stay connected, keep exploring, and watch out for more exciting updates in the months to come.
See you next month!
Check out all of the latest and greatest happenings in the Tracetest world in our monthly newsletter!
📢 Exciting news! Tracetest has integrated with Dynatrace to offer unified observability for testing. Now you can create trace-based tests and monitor them over time.